Eurasia Consult scans the food news from China on a daily basis.
On this page, we regularly drop a few lines of what we believe to be interesting information picked up during all that scanning. We will select items that do usually not reach the international media. We will make an effort to start with a clean page each Monday.
- APC Microbiome, SFI Research Centre at University College Cork and Teagasc and the National Engineering Research Centre for Functional Food at the University of Jiangnan have announced a new academic cooperation agreement to foster deeper research collaborations and exchanges between both research centres.
- Wahaha has launched a new vitamin A, D and calcium milk.
- Wahaha has launched a new series of carbonated drinks with 0 sugar, 0 fat and 0 calories branded Xiaoqingxun. Flavours include: mojito, acacia and jasmin.
- Xiangpiaopiao has launched a 0 sugar milk tea.
- China has imported 100.33 mln mt of soy beans in 2020; 11.82 mln mt more than in 2019.
- Mengniu Dairy has launched a new 0 sugar 0 fat probiotic drink branded Huojun Paopao (live bacteria bubbles). It comes in regular and red grape rum flavours.
- Cooking oil maker Jinlongyu has filed a turnover of RMB 194.92 billion for 2020; up 14.2%.
- Vietnam has exported 472,800 mt of agave and agave products in 2020; 96% of this was exported to China.
- Soy sauce maker Haitian became the most valuable brand in China’s food and beverage industry with its brand value jumping 95 percent on a yearly basis to RMB 120 billion in 2020, according to the Hurun Most Valuable China Brands 2020 list, which was released on Jan 21.
|Rank||Brand||Sector||Brand value (RMB billion)|
|2||Nongfu Spring||Mineral water||71|
|3||China Feihe||Infant formula||43|
|11||Wanglaoji||Herbal tea drinks||8|
- Insiders expect the value of the Chinese market for formulated condiments to rise to RMB 165.8 billion in 2021.
- McDonalds has launched a big campaign for lighter eating in China.
- Lingya Seed, which produced China’s ﬁrst locally made hard seltzer has rebranded to ZEYA, in line with a new local and regional strategic plan.
- China’s fﬁt8 has launched a probiotic containing powder for immune, gut and mental health.
- The Chinese government has announced a new strategy to develop the local dairy industry, with emphasis on strengthening R&D, tighter governance to quell remaining food safety concerns and boost the sector‘s reputation.
- International experts point at Indonesia and China as major opportunity markets for halal food & beverage products.