Eurasia Consult scans the food news from China on a daily basis.
On this page, we regularly drop a few lines of what we believe to be interesting information picked up during all that scanning. We will select items that do usually not reach the international media. We will make an effort to start with a clean page each Monday.
- According to the recently published white paper on food security, China has 134.88 mln hectares of cultivated land, an increase of more than 4.8 million hectares over 1996.
- China has produced 5.18 mln mt of canned food during the first 7 months of 2019; up 1.9%.
- The Chinese Ministry of Agriculture estimates the 2019 maize output at 257 mln mt; up 1.5%.
- China has been the world’s largest squid producing region for 9 years at a row, with a catch of more than 520,000 mt in 2018.
- Nut processor Yanjin Puzi has generated a turnover of RMB 641 mln in the first half of 2019; up 31.28%.
- Yanjin Puzi’s main competitor, Three Squirrels, earned a turnover of RMB 4.511 billion in the same period; up 39.58%.
- Uni-President has launched a new type of self-heating instant noodles.
- According to a recent report, the revenue of China’s household food industry totaled RMB 5.87 trillion in 2018, up 5.8%.
- A recent survey shows that Chinese style fast food currently has a market share of 47.8%; from 43.3% in 2018.
- The current top 5 fast food companies in China are:
- Seeds and nuts processor Qiaqia generated a turnover of RMB 3.219 billion during the first 9 months of 2019; up 10.64%.
- China has produced 445,000 mt of flaxseed oil in 2018. The top region was Gansu with 170,000 mt.
- China has produced 5.91 ml mt of chili paste in 2018; up 1.82%. Insiders estimate that that market will be worth RMB 40 billion by 2020.