Eurasia Consult scans the food news from China on a daily basis.
On this page, we regularly drop a few lines of what we believe to be interesting information picked up during all that scanning. We will select items that do usually not reach the international media. We will make an effort to start with a clean page each Monday.
- Today is a public holiday in China: Duanwu or Dragon Boat Festival. It is the time to enjoy zongzi.
- Senke Beverages (Anhui) has launched an innovative type of suanmeitang (Sour Plum Drink) adding traditional Chinese medicinal herbs, marketed as ‘Lotus Leaf Suanmeitang’.
- A special branch for probiotics has been founded the China Health Food Association.
- 114 distillers in Sichuan have joined in the founding of a Sichuan Base Liquor Association.
- Junlebao Dairy (Hebei) has won a quality award for the Business Initiative Direction.
- Online shop Tmall has sold 108 mln zongzi during this year’s Duanwu Festival. Competitor Jingdong reports that meat-flavoured zongzi made up 56% of the zongzi it sold, date-flavoured 23%, bean-flavoured 13% and chestnut-flavoured 6%.
- The Chinese authorities have removed the health food status of the TCM cordyceps (a parasitic fungus growing on insects).
- During the celebration of the 1st anniversary of the China Vegetarian Cooking Association, it was revealed that there are currently about 4000 vegetarian restaurants in China. This is still relatively low, as the total number of restaurants is estimated to be 5 mln.
- The annual turnover of China’s largest manufacturer of health drinks, Wahaha (Zhejiang), has decreased RMB 30 bln during the past 5 years.
- The value of the Chinese bottled water market exceeded RMB 10 bln in 2017.
- Yili Dairy (Inner Mongolia) has launched a new type of yoghurt with chunks of fruit.
- The 2018 China Light Industry Top 50 companies includes virtually only food and beverage manufacturers.